Thursday, June 21, 2007

The quick update, I am in Minneapolis racing with Kelley Benefit Strategies/Medifast. How I ended up here is a bit convoluted, so I'm just not going to say that it all worked out well.

**Wednesday Evening, June 20th**

It's just after the first stage and we're back in the loft drinking high life listening to the latest album by the Blue Scholars, waiting our respective turn to take a shower in the European style bathtub. You know the kind...the one that is 3 feet long by two feet wide and you have to bathe yourself while sitting cross legged Indian style. The topic of conversation moves quickly away from racing and towards...fake breasts. I'm not entirely certain how we got here, but it may have something to do with the fact that two doors down from our loft is "Sinners" and just beyond that lies "Sex World." Regardless, our soigneur Larry offers Johnny 10 million dollars if he will get a set of implants for a year, one B cup, and one DD. This is of course contingent upon Larry winning the Powerball, but slight details like that are ignored. Those who don't have to race tomorrow (and Johnny) are on the way out to the bars, and I am hitting the sack.

**Thursday morning**

My results for the first stage were far from impressive. I'm not happy with them, but I'm not unhappy either. I was middle of the pack for most all of the race. I had a brief bit of excitement when 20 minutes into the race I came down on my saddle hard tilting the nose down at a ~45 degree angle. I had to ride that way for 15 minutes until I got stuck behind a crash and was able to stop by the pit and get it fixed. I spent the rest of the race similarly middle to trailing edge of the pack until about 5 to go when there was a crash in front of me that split the front group off. I'm guessing I finished about 30 seconds down, but can't say for certain. Considering crits aren't my strongest discipline and this one had some turns described as "barely legal" I'm OK with how it turned out. I'm just glad that it didn't rain. It was threatening throughout, and we had plenty of crashes even though it was bone dry.

Today is the first road race. It's known for brutal cross winds that shatter the field. Last year it blew up 8 miles in and never came back together. I'm going to try to get up front and do what I can to get my wind blocking butt in a favorable position for my teammates. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 Comments:

Blogger sixtothe20 said...

You are SUPERCOOL! Good luck today! I am envious because you are racing with the pros on the NRC, you get to be in one of the best states in the Union, and you get to ride your bike while I'm stuck here at work. (: Good for you. Now kick some butt!

6/21/2007 9:01 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Minneapolis is so close to WI...and yet so far. At any rate, good luck! It's great to read updates again.

6/29/2007 8:44 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

are you going to update this fucking thing or what? how am i supposed to be your fan with such infrequent postings about your glamorous life? sheesh.

7/12/2007 5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'll let you know how it goes"... famous last words :).

7/26/2007 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandy wants more and you're not going to give it to her?! Get on that!

8/20/2007 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home